Friends of the Derwent Valley Line Constitution
1. Name of the group
1.1 The group shall be called "Friends of the Derwent Valley Line" (FDVL)
2. Objective of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line
2.1 The objective of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line is:
To work with Train Operating Companies, Local Government, the Derwent Valley Community Rail Partnership, and all other stakeholders that seek to increase ridership, improve services and enhance facilities on the Derby – Matlock Railway Line.
2.2 Specifically the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line will:
• Provide information on existing, and potential future usage, of the Line
• Work to improve the Line’s usefulness to the local community by seeking timetable enhancements and station improvements
• Publicise and promote the Line
• Develop and manage relationships with stakeholder bodies
• Seek to take an active role in maintaining the line and its assets, in particular stations, so as to benefit all passengers using the route
• Promote practical environmental enhancement works especially by volunteers for the benefit of the community and train passengers.
• Encourage community involvement in, and ownership of, the stations and environment along the route of the Derwent Valley Line.
• Invite local young people and educational institutions to develop a sense of ownership of their community’s railway be contributing poetry, artwork and their time so as to improve the environment of stations on the Derwent Valley Line
• Encourage local businesses to sponsor environmental enhancements at local stations and in the immediate vicinity.
• Campaign for improved infrastructure facilities and services.
• Seek to ensure that suitable rolling stock is provided for services on the line.
• Work with stakeholders to improve the integration of services between different transport modes (rail, bus, walking and cycling).
2.3 To fulfil these aims the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line will: -
(a) Undertake practical environmental, conservation, recycling works and other activities as appropriate
(b) Encourage partnerships with other like-minded groups to undertake such works
(c) Raise monies and funding, including by means of awards, grants and sponsorship, so as to carry out the aims of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line.
(d) Publicise the activities and achievements of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line.
2.4 The Friends of the Derwent Valley Line shall apply for membership of The Derwent Valley Community Rail Partnership and be either a direct member of the Association of Community Rail Partnerships or, if not, then indirectly be a member via the The Derwent Valley Community Rail Partnership.
3. Membership of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line
3.1 Membership shall be open to anyone interested in taking part in, or supporting, the objective and activities of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line.
3.2 In carrying out its objective and activities the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line shall seek to ensure equality of opportunity for all sections of the community both in the administration and management of its own affairs, and in its dealings with the community in general.
3.3 The Friends of the Derwent Valley Line shall hold four
meetings including an AGM each year to discuss its policy and administration. All members shall be entitled to attend and the meetings shall be fully advertised, especially along stations on the Derwent Valley Line
3.4 Committee and sub committees shall be appointed as required to conduct the administration of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line. This committee (which will include a Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer) will be in charge of the day to day running of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line, but will be answerable to meetings of members.
3.5 There shall be an annual subscription to help pay necessary expenses - to be fixed at a members' meeting at such a rate as is from time to time thought adequate.
3.6 Accounts shall be kept by the treasurer, submitted to an independent inspection and approved at a Members meeting.
3.7 The Friends of the Derwent Valley Line shall obtain any necessary insurance for volunteers on its projects, and for injuries for third persons, and damage to property
3.8 Individual members should only undertake activities agreed at the quarterly meeting of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line and should not undertake any activities that are contrary to the agreed aims, objective and activities of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line.
3.9 Any member of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line who has a personal pecuniary interest in any matter under consideration must declare his or her interest. They may then be asked to withdraw from the meeting and required not to take part in any discussion or vote on the matter under consideration.
3.10 In the event that an irreconcilable dispute occurs between members then an individual member, or a number of members, may be required by the Committee to surrender their membership of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line. In the event that the Committee makes such a decision those members being required to surrender their membership may be entitled to have the current and unexpired portion of their annual membership fee returned to them.
3.11 In the event of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line being wound up, the Accountable Body shall distribute the remaining funds to the contributing members in proportion to their contribution and after refunding any moneys due to external funding agencies.
4. Ratification and Amendment of the Constitution
4.1 This Constitution shall only be altered by the consent of a majority of the members of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line,
4.2 This Constitution of the Friends of the Derwent Valley Line was agreed on the 6th September 2004, and amended as agreed at the second Annual General Meeting held on 9th October 2007.